Thursday 29 December 2011

New Testament Introductions

There are a lot of them out there. As a bible college student I remember one of my NT lecturers telling us in a 4th year class, "We don't want you to leave here just going back to preaching with an NT survey or Selwyn Hughes notes". Fair enough, after 4 years of intense Greek study and exegesis!

I DO, however, like to start my research into an NT book by getting an overview of that book. So I do like to have an NT introduction or two on the shelf.

At college here in Australia our recommended text for first year was Carson and Moo's introduction (first edition). I have to say 'though, I hated it. Why? Well, I think it was Carson's writing style. It was intensely academic (at least for someone in first year bible college) and, unlike Carson's other books such as 'The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God', this book was full of dense peripheral discussions with frequent reference to obscure academic arguments. There was little about the content of each book. So I got rid of my copy.

When the second edition came out I thought I'd try it again. the aesthetics of the book (eg font and layout) were much better, there was a little more survey of the actual content of each NT book, but essentially I still had a problem with it. Feeling like a heretic, I gave it away to another student below me.  

These are the surveys I now use as a pastor, in ascending order of use:

5. Encountering the New Testament: Gospels and Acts (Walton/Wenham)

This was my initial replacement for Carson and Moo's book. Written by UK evangelicals, it's a text for college/seminary students and I found during my course that it was VERY useful for answering all those essay topics that come up about the historical Jesus and gospel sources.

4. Jesus and the Gospels (Craig Blomberg) 

A very handy overview of the gospels. Dr Blomberg is academically thorough and an excellent writer to boot. This survey is both deep and accessible and gives me everything I want to know from an introduction.

It seems slightly petty I guess, but I wished the book were a little prettier (ie fonts bigger and easier to read/more margin space/slightly better structure), it would have made for an even better book to use. Maybe if Zondervan were the publisher and gave it an aesthetic reworking?  


3. Jesus According to Scripture (Darrell Bock)

Similar to Blomberg's 'Jesus and the Gospels', although I prefer the layout and structure of this book over Blomberg's. Simple overviews of each gospel and some basic discussion of the content in each gospel also. Bock is a guru of the gospels and knows his material very well.      

2. From Pentecost to Patmos (Craig Blomberg)

As you may have guessed, I'm a huge fan of Craig Blomberg's clear, concise, ordered writing. I get a detailed overview of the setting, context and purpose of each letter in this second volume of his NT introductions. I even get a snappy one line theme statement with each chapter in this latter book - handy! This book is better organised than the first (letter by letter lends itself to a more straightforward structure), but both are very useful tomes.

1. The Cradle, The Cross and The Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament (Kostenberger, Kellum, Quarles)


At last - an NT introduction that ticks all the right boxes! Beautifully and simply organised. Easy to read fonts and sidebars, and good use of maps and charts that keep my interest and give me helpful historical context. Well-crafted academic writing that is accessible at the same time.

The first two chapters deal with the nature and scope of scripture, and the political and religious background of the New Testament. Chapters 3-7 deal with the gospels. Chapters 8 through to 15 discuss the early church and Paul (and his letters). Chapters 16-20 deal with the general letters and Revelation. There is also a final chapter on unity and diversity in the NT.

The chapters on each gospel and letter address the history, literature and theology of each book. The discussion assumes readers are at a seminary level so it's not a simple summary (this is good!). The introduction sticks to its goal consistently - to deliver a thorough, seminary-level introduction to the NT books - and delivers without dipping incessantly into the peripheral academics.

It's an excellent starting point for further study and exegesis for any pastor. In my humble opinion, this last introduction is by far the best I've come across. Having this and Dr Blomberg's books together in your library would be the ideal situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment