Friday 30 December 2011

Reading for Philippians

I'm about to preach a series on Philippians called 'Conduct Worthy of the Gospel'. Here are the resources I have used to prepare for my first talk on Philippians 1:1-11:

The Bible and prayer!
Have read through the book a couple of times, and my first segment of the whole book a number of times. Translated from the Greek using Bibleworks 6. I've asked God for insight.  

Background to Philippi
I've used The Cradle and the Cross (Kostenberger et al), From Pentecost to Patmos (Blomberg), and the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (Frank Thielman wrote the Philippians entry) to get a feel for the letter and the city's historical circumstances.

The Text and Commentaries
Again, I've looked at the scriptures themselves and have Philippians constantly open. I have translated the Greek, but now have my ESV Study Bible open as I form my own thoughts and read the exegesis of various commentaries. The commentaries I have and am using are:

Zondervan Expositors' Bible Commentary (Revised): David Garland on Philippians
Just read his initial introduction to the letter (very good) and notes on 1-11. The commentary itself is well laid-out with an overview of each section of the letter he has delineated. The text is on double columns, with endnotes for each section following (using single column). The font itself is easy to read. The footnoting is irritating me already (eg 'Caird, 109, asserts that the state...'). Garland comments on the Greek and also the meaning of the verse in the one section, not in any particular order in that section. There are 10 pages on 1:1-11, so it's not an unsubstantial commentary. I liked his interaction with the Greek but I would have preferred him using the actual Greek word, not the phonetic English equivalent. I guess this commentary is for the layperson so a decision was made not to include the koine. Maybe both could have been used? For me it's actually harder to recognize the Greek word when it is 'phoneticised' into English.

New International Biblical Commentary: Philippians (F F Bruce)
The first thing I notice about my copy of this book was that each page is set at a slant, sloping noticeably down the right at about 5 degrees or so - strange. Problem at the printers?

F F Bruce's introduction is superb - the best of the commentaries and introductions I have - giving a detailed history of Philippi's founding, Roman origins, development and (then) current status. He addresses the biblical record from Acts 16 and the founding of the Philippian church and Paul's subsequent troubles. I appreciated how Bruce gives a postlude to the Philippian church with the account of Ignatius some 50 years after Paul's letter. Ignatius passes through Philippi on his travels, and the Philippians then write to Bishop Polycarp asking for copies of Ignatius' writings. Polycarp's response to the Philippian church survives (see page 8 of commentary).

One thing I am noticing is the phrasing between the commentaries at certain points is VERY similar. That Bruce's commentary is the oldest I own makes me think his little book was consulted by commentaries and introductions following, fairly closely too.

There are about 15 pages of commentary (less three or so pages of endnotes) on Phil 1:1-11. It's a brief commentary but already I feel like this one will be the most useful. It feels like Bruce has breathed in the aroma of the letter and has a depth of insight that the others do not. It's a warmer commentary somehow. Highly recommended. You'll need to go to other sources to get insights into the original language.

Zondervan NIVAC: Philippians (Thielman)
Final one. 24 pages of exegesis and application of the selected text. The organisation and fonts used in this series irritate, especially compared to the well-laid out Expositors' Bible Commentary by the same publisher. Oh well. The pages in my book differed noticeably in contrast - some very light making it harder to read the text, others darker. I'm not sure why you would have a section on 'Bridging Contexts' and then one on 'Contemporary Application' when they are essentially the same.  

Thielman is an interesting writer who  makes the stock Philippians material and context come to life. He makes application to contemporary situation, and doesn't fall into the trap of just talking about American life, as such commentaries often do.      


      
   


       

No comments:

Post a Comment