Thursday 12 January 2012

Nifties: Church Surveys


I am very interested in delving into medieval church history. In the evangelical world we just don't hear much about this 1000 year old period from 500 - 1500, save perhaps from Anselm and Aquinas and a couple of others.

Someone gave me this book one Christmas a while back so I am reading it now to begin my mini-investigation. Brief, full of colour photographs, beautiful to read through. Will post about its contents!

Postscript Saturday 14th Jan: An excellent little overview. Things I discovered/was reminded of were:
the development of Mary worship was a 12th century thing; the rise of academic theology was in this period; there were significant laity movements (such as the Lollards) that rose up to criticize the unwieldy hold of biblical interpretation by priests; and in the midst of this 1000 years there was some pretty outstanding Christian art!

No comments:

Post a Comment